The latest LEGO Technic masterpiece created by Sariel is a replica of a Russian military truck that features drive, steering, remotely controlled transmission, V12 piston engine, opening doors and hatch, lights, UV headlamp and custom stickers. Like many LEGO Technic builders, he got a soft spot for the giant Russian military trucks and he considers the MAZ-535 to be one of the best-looking one of these monsters.
The real MAZ-535 has really enormous wheels and a relatively narrow chassis, which translates into limited room between a LEGO model’s wheels, even if you go with really big LEGO wheels – in this case, popular LEGO 107 x 44R wheels translate into just 12 studs of space between left and right wheels.
On one hand, the MAZ-535 body is basically a simple box, but on the other LEGO hasn’t released a surprising number of basic pieces in dark green – the 2×2 plate, for instance, or any bars/antennas. The only way to build a dark green hinge was to combine a 2×1 plate with a handle, which was rare, with a 1×1 tile with a clip, which was even more rare and sold for as much as 2.5 EU per piece. All in all, the model was a serious expense,
Datasheet of the MAZ-535:
- Completion date: 29/10/2019
- Power: electric (Power Functions)
- Remote control: SBrick
- Dimensions: length 74 studs / width 23 studs / height 28 studs
- Weight: 3,405 Kg
- Suspension: pendular axles
- Propulsion: 5 x PF XL motor via a remotely controlled 2-speed transmission with ratio 5.4:1 / 8.64:1
- Motors: 4 x PF XL motor, 1 x PF L motor, 1 x PF M motor